It’s like walking home from school on a perfectly warm day, left over lunch money in your pocket, and the sweet, savory sound of your crush’s voice bouncing around you like a firefly. Your walk-men is playing those two songs you requested from the radio station, the ones you recorded back to back.
It’s Esquites. This is my Dad’s recipe:
*About 2 tablespoons of OLIVE OIL
*2 (16oz) bags of frozen CORN, or cut fresh CORN, straight from the cob
*2 teaspoons of SUGAR
*About 1/4 cup of MAYONAISE (with olive oil), or VEGANAISE
*2 tablespoons of fresh LIME JUICE
*1 1/2 teaspoons of CHILE POWEDER
*1/2 teaspoon of CORIANDER
*Dash of CAYENNE PEPPER (or more if you’re into it)
*Teaspoon or a bit more to taste of SALT
*SERVING LIME WEDGES
- Defrost your corn if needed. Run it under some warm water.
- Heat up your olive oil and put in 1 bag, or 16 oz of corn. Once sizzling, add in 1 teaspoon of sugar. Let the corn char, stirring occasionally.
- While corn is heating up, make your sauce (Mayo, salt, chile powder, ceyenne pepper, coriander, lime juice. Stir together.
- Dump first batch of corn into the bowl with your sauce, stir and add in some cojita cheese.
- Put your next 16 oz of corn in the pan, after sizzling add in your sugar, and let char.
- Dump corn into the bowl with the sauce (and other corn) mix well. Add more cojita cheese.
- Put chopped cilantro on top, with fresh cojita cheese and lime wedges.
Goes well with the movie DROP DEAD FRED and CRAZY BEUATIFUL.